From the museum website, 16 December 2009
The Residenzgalerie is located on the second floor of the former archiepiscopal residence (Residenz) in Salzburg. The splendid ambience of the museum, which was founded in 1923, is an ideal setting for the outstanding international paintings in the collection.
In 1980 the regional government acquired part of the art collection belonging to the Austrian aristocratic Czernin family and this forms a major focus of the collection in the Residenzgalerie. Here magnificent Dutch paintings from the 17th century can be admired such as works by the great landscape painters Jan van Goyen, Aelbert Cuyp, Salomon van Ruysdael and Jakob Isaacksz, or by the animal painter Paulus Potter, and the master of the “Golden Period” of the still life, Jan Davidsz de Heem. Works by Rembrandt’s students can be seen as well as an early work by the master himself.
Exquisite loans from the collection of the aristocratic family Schönborn-Buchheim as well as from the collections of the princes of Liechtenstein from Vaduz / Vienna enrich the gallery’s own collection. Italian, French and Austrian Baroque paintings transport the observer to a world full of drama, love of life and ascetic spirituality: powerful Neapolitan fa presto by masters such as Lucca Giordano and Guercino besides delicate scenes of gallantry by the French masters François Boucher and Hubert Robert.
The collection is completed with works by Austrian masters of the 19th century such as Friedrich von Amerling, Josef Danhauser, Ferdinand Georg Waldmüller, Thomas Ender, Anton Romako and Hans Makart, who was born in 1840 in the Salzburg Residenz.