NB. This is a permanent exhibition. The end date is not confirmed. Please check the museum website (www.kunstmuseumsg.ch) for the latest information.
The collection should not remain static, but should present itself in motion. Thus, works are switched out, regrouped, and entire rooms are rehung. Hidden elements come to light, emphases are shifted, and every now and then a great donation is featured as new highlight!
The works of the late Gothic and Renaissance—including a Lucretia (circa 1530) by the Antwerp-based artist Cornelis Bazelaere, known as “The Master with the Parrot,” the latest donation by Annette Bühler—are juxtaposed with post-Byzantine icons from the extensive Gürtler donation. The result is an encounter between pictures from the East and the West, inviting visitors to compare them. The path of the Old Masters continues in the important works of Dutch and Italian Baroque painting from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
The permanent exhibition also includes French art from the nineteenth century, twentieth-century avant-garde and modern-day artists.
Curated by Matthias Wohlgemuth and Céline Gaillard.