CODART, Dutch and Flemish art in museums worldwide

Presentation of five Flemish paintings

Exhibition: 9 July - 30 September 2012

Information from the organizers, 24 January 2012

Five paintings dating from the 16th and 17th century will be presented in the Keizerskapel in Antwerpen. First an hitherto unknown Ecce Homo panel (108,5 x 80 cm) attributed to Jan Gossaert (1478-1532). The first version is in the Museo del Patriarca in Valencia and was published by Ariane Mensger (2002). The hereby presented work can be considered a high quality second version dating from the same period (about 1517). It was accepted an autograph work by Friedländer who saw it after the publication of part VIII of Die altniederländische Malerei in 1930.

Second is a brunaille (panel, 48,5 x 37,5 cm) by Thomas Willeboirts Bosschaert (1613/14-1654), representing Saint Francis from Assisi receiving the stigmata. This painting was first shown to the public in Brussels in 1965 (Le Si√®cle de Rubens) as by P.P. Rubens which still refers to its high quality. In the meantime it was published by Axel Heinrich (2003) as a late work by Thomas Willeboirts Bosschaert and identified as one of the three sketches (another one is in Johannesburg) for Fuensalda√Īas, a series of 3 paintings now in Valladolid, Museo Nacional de Escultura.

Third on show is a painting representing The Virgin and Child (canvas, 159,5 x 114 cm), bearing the monogram of Erasmus II Quellinus (1607-1678). This painting is clearly by Gaspar De Crayer (1584-1669), and can be dated ca. 1634.

It will be confronted with an important work by Erasmus II Quellinus, The Virgin and Child with Saint-Dominic (canvas, 176 x 133 cm, about 1656).

Finally a Vision of Saint-Ignatius of Loyola (canvas, 193,7 x 134 cm) by Cornelis Schut (1597-1655) will be presented. An interesting work because it is close to a series of paintings by Schut (see Gertrude Wilmers, 1996) which are on view in the nearby church of Saint-Carolus-Borromeus (on walking distance from the Keizerskapel). This famous baroque church was originally dedicated to Saint-Ignatius of Loyola.