Joachim II, Elector of Brandenburg, had Grunewald Hunting Lodge constructed in 1542. At the beginning of the eighteenth century, representative baroque expansions were implemented and around 1900 extensive modernizations took place. Since 1932, the palace has been in use as a museum.
In 2000, the entire collection of Dutch and Flemish seventeenth-century paintings, that had been on display in Grunewald since the 1960s, was translocated to other palaces within the Stiftung Preußische Schlösser und Gärten Berlin-Brandenburg, like the newly opened baroque palaces in Oranienburg and Caputh.
Since 2011, nearly 30 paintings by Lucas Cranach the Elder and his son have been on view in a permanent exhibition at Grunewald Hunting Lodge. The collection also includes masterpieces by German artists from the fifiteenth and sixteenth centuries, like the famous ʺCadolzburger Altar“ and a few painters of the old Netherlandish schools like Joos van Cleve. The second emphasis of the permanent exhibition is dedicated to the theme of “Courtly Hunting in Art” with some seventeenth-century paintings by e.g. Abraham Begeyn, Franz de Hamilton and Henri de Fromantiou.
Dr. Alexandra Nina Bauer, Curator of German, Dutch and Flemish Paintings (May 2020)
Grunewald Hunting Lodge is administered by the Foundation of Prussian Palaces and Gardens.
Björn Ahlhelm, Carola Zimmermann
Die Gemälde im Jagdschloss Grunewald