The Middle Rhine Museum in Koblenz is one of the oldest German museums to emerge from a civic foundation. Its current holdings of Dutch and Flemish painting largely originate from the art collection of pastor Joseph Gregor Lang (1755-1834), which he bequeathed to the city in 1835. In total, the museum now has around 60 rather small-format works, including portraits, genre paintings, landscapes and religious historical depictions. Particularly noteworthy are a Mass of St. Gregory, which was created around 1500 by an unknown master in Brussels, and a Holy Family with St. Barbara by an unknown Dutch master from the early sixteenth century. Seventeenth-century masterpieces from the collection are Old Woman with Glasses, a ‘tronie’ painted around 1660 by Jan Woutersz called ‘Stap’, and a Herd of Cattle on the Pasture from the late work of Nicolaes Pietersz. Berchem (1620-1683). However, the absolute highlight of the museum is the Tower of Babel that Lucas van Valckenborch created in 1595.
Dr. Claudia Heitmann (May 2020)