In Amsterdam’s canal ring stands Museum Van Loon, once designed as a mansion by architect Adriaen Dortsman in 1672. Its first occupant was the painter Ferdinand Bol, a pupil of Rembrandt. The interior exudes the atmosphere of the wealth that the city enjoyed in that period. Behind the house is a garden laid out in the style of the seventeenth century and bounded by the beautiful façade of the coach house, which has belonged to the museum since 2009.
In 1884, the canal house came into the possession of the wealthy Van Loon family, from which the museum takes its name. In 1973, the museum was opened to the public. Its collection, which the family built up over five centuries, gives a fine impression of affluent life in a canal house. The imposing period rooms are decorated with portraits, furniture, silverware, and porcelain from different centuries. The objects in the collection range from seventeenth-century paintings to twentieth-century kitchenware. An important painting in the collection is The Marriage of Willem van Loon and Margaretha Bas by Jan Miense Molenaer from 1637.