The Queen’s Gallery is located adjacent to Buckingham Palace, on the site of what was once a private chapel for Queen Victoria. The chapel was destroyed in an air raid in 1940, and at the suggestion of The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh it was developed as an art gallery for the Royal Collection in 1962. In 1997, a project began to expand and modernize the gallery, the most significant addition to Buckingham Palace in 150 years. The Queen’s Gallery was opened by Her Majesty The Queen in May 2002 as part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations, and today it hosts a program of changing exhibitions from the Royal Collection. Past exhibitions containing a large proportion of Dutch and Flemish works of art include The Northern Renaissance (2012-2013), Bruegel to Rubens (2008-2009), Dutch Landscapes (2011), and Masters of the Everyday (2015-2016).
Anna Reynolds, Deputy Surveyor of The Queen’s Pictures (May 2021)