The museum, founded in 1986, is situated in the former renaissance-residence of Simon VI, Count of Lippe and ancestor of the princely house that still resides in Detmold today. The Count was colonel of the lower Rhine-Westphalian imperial circle, member of the Aulic Council (one of the supreme courts), imperial chamberlain, and owner of a house on the Hradschin. He maintained close contact with Emperor Rudolf II, for whom he acted as an agent. As was mentioned by Karel van Mander, the renowned count bought Dutch paintings both for the catholic emperor and for his own residence. Unfortunately, the historical art collection was sold at auction in 1805. Ever since the founding of the museum, we are determined to restore the historical collection and reestablish its thematic focus. Among the collection are three rare paintings by Hans Vredeman de Vries and his son Paul, sketches for Perspective from 1604/05 and Architectura from 1606, as well as examples for Pieter Aertsen’s market scenes and a kitchen still life by his student Joachim Beuckelaer. Worth mentioning is also the enchanting portrait of a girl by Paulus Moreelse. Joos de Momper is represented with a rather rare depiction of castle Mariemont, the horse specialist Philips Wouwerman with A small travel company, and Cornelis Cornelisz. Van Haarlem with an unusual scene from the myth of Mars and Venus from 1604. Particular attention merit the twelve animal drawings by Pieter Holsteijn the Younger and the only preserved authentic portrait of count Simon VI., by Geldorp Goltzius.
Dr. Vera Lüpkes, Director of the Museum, June 2020