The Silesian Museum in Opava was founded in 1814 as a museum for natural history and art. Today the museum holds an important collection of Dutch, Flemish and Netherlandish art. The collection of paintings consists of ca. 20 artworks, including painters such as Lucas van Valckenborch, Andries van Eertvelt, Quentin Massys, and Pieter de Bloot.
In the collection of textils the Silesian Museum has two Flemish tapestries from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries and two Dutch tapestries from seventeenth century. The collection of glass holds around eighteen Dutch and Netherlandish goblets from the seventeenth and eighteenthth century, one Dutch bowl, one Netherlandish pot and one Netherlandish tobacco box. The Silesian museum also has one Dutch sculpture from the seventeenth century, one Dutch plaque from the sixteenth century, two Netherlandish sculptures and one plaque from seventeenth century and one Flemish sculpture from fifteenth century.
Among a large group of graphic artwork are fifteen Dutch, Flemish and Netherlandish items. Four Dutch copperplate engravings by Claes Janszn. Visscher are part of a series of views of castles in Holland and Utrecht , and five Dutch copperplates are from a series of Adam and Eve after Abraham Bloemaert.
Perhaps the most important part of the collection is a group of Dutch faience (around 55 pieces of tableware, vases and two busts, all of thesewere made in Delft) and agroup of Dutch tableware (four pieces) and tiles (around 87 pieces) from the seventeenth to eighteenth century.
Denisa Hradilová, curator of the Collection of the fine arts (June 2020)