The St. Anne-Museum owns a valuable collection of Netherlandish art from the fifteenth and sixteenth century. Via the trading routes of the Hanseatic merchants, which held an important office in Bruges, numerous Flemish works reached Lübeck. The oldest Netherlandish piece in the collection is the Grönauer altar, a winged retable originally designed for the St. Aegidien Church that was imported from Bruges around 1420. The most famous artwork is the Passion altarpiece by Hans Memling, which had been commissioned in 1491 by the Lübeck merchant family Greverade for their chapel in the cathedral. Around 1500, the flourishing city of Lübeck also attracted artists from the Netherlands, like Jacob of Utrecht who was active in the city and of which three works can be found in the collection. Additionally, smaller altarpieces, easel paintings, wooden reliefs, sculptures, and altar fragments from the southern Netherlands are part of the collection. Recently a high-quality St. Jerome in his Study from the second half of the sixteenth century by a follower of Joos van Cleve was acquired.
Dutch still lifes, landscapes, and genre paintings of the seventeenth century entered the collection from Lübeck private collections. Among them works by David Teniers, Jan Decker, Claude de Jongh, Jan van Goyen, Jacob Adriaensz. Backer and Willem van Diest. The graphic collection similarly includes works by Dutch and Flemish printmakers and etchers such as Rembrandt and Rubens, Adriaen van Ostade, Gerard ter Borch as well as etches by Hieronymus Wierix, Lucas Vorsterman and Cornelis Visscher.
Miriam Mayer, scientific volunteer (May 2020)