Until 2018 the museum was known as the Stedelijk Museum Wuyts-Van Campen en Baron Caroly (Municipal Museum Wuyts-Van Campen & Baron Caroly of Lier).
The neo-Gothic edifice occupied by Lier’s municipal museum was built in the eighteenth century. It was used in a variety of ways until 1892, when it was converted into a museum.
The permanent collection of Lier’s Municipal Museum includes an overview of mainly Flemish and Dutch paintings dating from the sixteenth to the twentieth century. Especially noteworthy are two works by Rubens, depicting The Holy Family and St. Teresa of Avila’s Vision. The collection also includes a copy of Netherlandish Proverbs by Pieter Bruegel the Elder, made by Pieter Brueghel the Younger, and Family Portrait, a painting believed to depict the Van Berchem family, by the Southern Netherlandish painter Frans Floris.
In addition to paintings, the museum also has a collection of drawings by the aforementioned artists, as well as prints, silverwork, and ceramics.