The Residenzgalerie Salzburg was founded on 28 August 1923 by the Province Salzburg with the support of the federal government. The museum was meant to be a successor to the Collections of the Prince Archbishops which had been lost during the Napoleonic wars. The prevailing creed was a high-quality collection with a focus on the baroque period. However, the Residenzgalerie did not have a collection of its own – not a single artwork – at the time of its founding. Instead public and private loans from noble family collections like Czernin and Schönborn-Buchheim, and museums and monasteries were displayed.
Today the Residenzgalerie Salzburg in the DomQuartier Salzburg houses the most precious paintings collection of the Province Salzburg. The focus of the collection is on European paintings from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century. In addition to important Italian, French and Austrian masters of the baroque and Austrian art of the nineteenth century, Dutch art of the seventeenth century is a prominent high-point of the collection: Rembrandt, Salomon van Ruysdael, Jan Davidsz. de Heem, Jan van Goyen, Peter Paul Rubens, Jan Brueghel the Elder and others have been acquired from the former Viennese Czernin collection between 1956 and 1991 and are under federal monument protection.
Astrid Ducke & Thomas Habersatter, Curators and Researchers (June 2020)
Residenzgalerie Salzburg: complete inventory of paintings
Auf den Spuren des Lichts : Studien zur Niederländischen Malerei in der Residenzgalerie Salzburg