The Curatorial Fellowship Program at the Harvard Art Museums is designed to broaden the experience of scholars embarking on professional and academic careers in art history who are considering the museum profession.
Duties and responsibilities
- The Stanley H. Durwood Foundation Fellow conducts object-based research and scholarship focused on the extensive collections of the Harvard Art Museums, with a preference for 17th century Dutch drawings. Under the supervision of the Maida and George Abrams Associate Curator of Drawings, the Fellow researches and writes entries on Dutch drawings–an area of the collection that is particularly rich and distinguished–for the online catalogue. The Fellow is also given the opportunity to carry out research on Dutch works from the permanent collection in other media.
- The Curatorial Fellow assists with a broad range of other curatorial activities, including preparation of interpretive materials, curation of museum displays and exhibitions, cataloguing of the permanent collection in the Art Museums’ database, and donor cultivation.
- Foregrounding the museum’s teaching and research mission, the Curatorial Fellow helps provide content expertise for the Art Museums’ Art Study Center by supporting classes and individual appointments six hours a week, and contributes to a rich offering of public and academic interpretive programs across various platforms.
- The Fellow may supervise students and temporary employees.
MA in Art History with specialization in Dutch Art
- PhD preferred, with specialization in Dutch Art from the 15th century to the early 20th century
- Curatorial or related experience
- Written and spoken proficiency in Dutch required
- Commitment to fostering the appreciation of works of art in a museum context
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to work independently as well as collegially
A complete application includes a letter of interest, résumé or curriculum vitae, transcript, English-language writing sample, and three letters of recommendation. Complete applications will be reviewed beginning on March 1, 2016 until the position is filled.
1. Please apply online with letter and curriculum vitae HERE
Please upload transcript, and one article-length, English-language writing sample.
2. Please ask references to send letters of recommendation to the following address firstname.lastname@example.org (please note that the letters of reference will be verified).