A two-year predoctoral fellowship is available from September 2009 to August 2011 for one “outstanding doctoral candidate” at the Frick Collection. The deadline for applications is 20 January 2009.
The Frick Collection is pleased to announce the availability of a two-year predoctoral fellowship funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for an outstanding doctoral candidate who wishes to pursue a curatorial career in an art museum. The fellowship will offer invaluable curatorial training and will provide the scholarly and financial resources required for completing the doctoral dissertation. It is best suited to a student working on a dissertation that pertains to one of the major strengths of the Collection and Library. The Fellow will be expected to divide his or her time between the completion of the dissertation and activities in the curatorial department. Applicants must be within the final two years of completing their ssertations. The Mellon Fellow will receive a stipend of $32,000 per year plus benefits and a travel allowance. The term will begin in September 2009 and conclude in August 2011.
Applications must include the following material:
– A cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in the fellowship and his or her status in the Ph.D. program. The letter should include a home address, phone number, and email address.
– An abstract, not to exceed three typed pages double-spaced, describing the applicant’s area of research.
– A complete curriculum vitae of education, employment, honors, awards, and publications.
– A copy of a published paper or a writing sample.
– Three letters of recommendation (academic and professional) sent directly to the address below.
– The application deadline for the fellowship is January 20, 2009. The Frick Collection plans to make the appointment by the end of March. Finalists will be interviewed.
Applications and letters of recommendation should be submitted to:
Mellon Curatorial Fellow Search
Office of the Chief Curator
The Frick Collection
1 East 70th Street
New York, NY 10021
Please see http://www.frick.org/ for additional information.