In October, you can see The Standard Bearer (1636) at Het Noordbrabants Museum. Rembrandt’s ambitious masterpiece is on tour! The painting is displayed alongside a number of key works from the museum’s permanent collection. This gives you an impression of Dutch painting in the seventeenth century: a period in which artists from the Northern and Southern Netherlands exchanged ideas and inspiration in abundance.
Rembrandt’s Standard Bearer on Tour
From May 2022 through April 2023, Rembrandt’s The Standard Bearer will go on show in each of the 12 Dutch provinces, through a unique partnership between 12 museums, before permanently entering the collection of the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
Rembrandt’s 1636 masterpiece The Standard Bearer was purchased by the Dutch state in January 2022 with the support of the Rembrandt Association and the Rijksmuseum Fund. It is widely considered the final major important painting by Rembrandt to enter a public collection.
This tour will enable as many people as possible to see this national treasure before it is permanently installed at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. The tour begins in Friesland province in May 2022, where The Standard Bearer will be shown at the Fries Museum in Leeuwarden. The painting will then travel to each of the participating museums in turn, for four weeks at a time. All the museums will offer free admission on at least one day in this period. Once the tour is complete, visitors to the Rijksmuseum will be able to enjoy Rembrandt’s Standard Bearer on permanent display in the Gallery of Honour.
The Standard Bearer will visit 12 museums in 12 provinces on its tour of the Netherlands, from May 2022 to May 2023. This will enable everyone in the country to become acquainted with The Standard Bearer in their home province.
- Fries Museum in Leeuwarden, Friesland (May 2022)
- Centraal Museum in Utrecht, Utrecht (June 2022)
- Stedelijk Museum Alkmaar, North Holland (July 2022)
- Drents Museum in Assen, Drenthe (August 2022)
- Kunstlinie in Almere, Flevoland (September 2022)
- Het Noordbrabants Museum in Den Bosch, North Brabant (October 2022)
- Mauritshuis in The Hague, South Holland (November 2022)
- Rijksmuseum Twenthe in Enschede, Overijssel (December 2022)
- Museum Arnhem in Arnhem, Gelderland (January 2023)
- Zeeuws Museum in Middelburg, Zeeland (February 2023)
- Bonnefanten in Maastricht, Limburg (March 2023)
- Groninger Museum in Groningen, Groningen (April 2023)
For more information see https://www.vaandeldragerontour.nl